APPROACHING A RECORD LABEL
Our advice on approaching a record label.
Approaching a record label. Before you go gung-ho sending emails and making phone calls to record labels, there's a few things to consider!
- Is it too soon? How long have you been performing? You need to be sure you are ready and that you have a back catalogue of songs that are of high quality.
- Is your live performance up to scratch? If a record label executive made a surprise trip to your gig, would you be putting on a blistering live show or would they walk away thinking how you were rooted to the spot, singing out of key and generally looking lost?
- Do you know where your music fits? Are you a soulful singer like Joss Stone or are you more pop orientated like Katy Perry? You need to be sure that the style you are going for is the direction you want to go.
- Are you unique? What do you offer to the music industry that’s different.
- When sending out you demo, is it of a high quality? Have you recorded it during a proper session at a studio? Is the song writing of a high standard or will the lyrics make no sense to whoever is listening? Is it your best vocal performance or was it your first take and that will do?
If you think you meet the above criteria then you are reading to begin contacting the record labels!
Get your music heard by major record label A & R by auditioning for Open Mic UK - enter the singing contest now.
HOW WILL I KNOW IF I'M READY?
Very crudely; are you or capable of making a sustainable living from music? Are you doing enough gigs, merchandise and selling music online to be a full time artist? A record label is unlikely to invest unless they see it working as a sustainable music business model that they can make money from. So if you are selling and getting booked enough it’s telling you, that there is a demand for you and an audience to sell your music too.
HOW DO I APPROACH A LABEL?
These days, record labels get inundated with demos and press releases by singers. Let’s not be under any illusions this is a difficult route and you need to make sure you stand out so you don’t end up getting skimmed over and discarded without a second glance.
- When approaching a label, try and pick ones that have an affiliation to your style of music. If you a pop singer, sending a demo to a heavy metal label will be a waste of time.
- Try and find out the name of the person you are contacting. It goes a long way to getting them to read the email you send. A simple ‘hi there’ will not draw their attention. They will assume you have just done a generic email sent to multiple people at once.
- Include a brief Bio that is engaging and interesting but perhaps a throw away that will tickle the reader like did you know Joe Bloggs can juggle 6 eggs in 1 hand.
- Throw in some quotes. If people have been saying you’re a great singer, put it in there to back up your belief in yourself.
- A recent photo of yourself. Keep it professional, not you on a night out the other day.
- Contact details: Phone number, email address and social media web links.
Be prepared that you may not hear back! Some may argue building up your own record sales, social media reach and higher profile gigs to network at will be more fruitful! Plus you’ll hopefully be getting a return from the gigs and sales.
IS THERE A GOOD TIME TO SEND AN EMAIL?
The timing of sending an email to a record label is very important!
- Don’t send it over a holiday or at the weekend. Monday morning will be when an email inbox is at its fullest, so chances are most emails will be skimmed over and discarded just to get through them. Wait until later in the week, maybe a Wednesday afternoon once things have calmed down.
- Maybe try sending the email when you have good news to report. If you have an EP launch approaching or a slot supporting a well known singer, it gives your email some clout and will make it of more interest to the recipient of the email.
- Time sending it to coincide with you having some gigs lined up around the area the record label is based and invite them to come down. This gives them a chance to check you out in the flesh as opposed to relying on your demo. Make sure the show is accessible so the record label has a genuine chance of seeing you before they forget about you!
APPROACHING A RECORD LABEL
Check out our other tips for singers below and check out our Open Mic UK singing auditions by clicking here.
Choosing the right recording studio and producer for you.
To keep up-to-date with other advice for singers, keep an eye on the Open Mic UK Facebook and Twitter pages:
Click the above buttons so you don't miss out!
If you found this article useful, share it here:
MUSIC ARTIST MANAGEMENT
What does Music Artist Management do?
Music Artist Management: All music mangers vary and can do an array of different jobs to help artists develop every aspect of their music careers. What a manager does for you …
LOOKING FOR A MUSIC MANAGER?
Should you be looking for a music manager?
Looking for a music manager?: Certainly what we’d advise especially when starting out is just concentrate on your own affairs to begin with before you start looking …
WRITING A PRESS RELEASE
Putting together and writing a press release
Writing a press release: You need something to back up your words explaining your story for your newspaper article, that’s where writing a press release, comes in. …
Choosing a recording studio for your music production
Music Production: You’ve spent time and effort writing your own material, so when it comes to music production – laying down your tracks, choosing a …
Using YouTube and uploading videos
Using YouTube: YouTube is the most popular video platform for singers as we go to print, so using YouTube can be a great platform, although Facebook are keen to take a piece of this market, so …
Using the right Facebook tools for promotion
Facebook Tools: Facebook is still one of the best marketing platforms for singers, musicians and songwriters to promote their music and events on, therefore utilising Facebook tools can …
Facebook posts and content rules
Facebook Posts: Getting your Facebook posts right is important. Post too little and you are in danger of getting lost in people's news feeds and forgotten. Post too much and you will irritate …
Facebook help to get you started
Facebook help: One of the first steps with your Facebook help is to make sure your bio, picture and information are as clear as possible. Also, make sure your profile picture on Facebook is …
AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions for Open Mic UK 2016 are announced today!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2016! The Open Mic UK music competition auditions will be …
OPEN MIC UK SINGING COMPETITION WINNER – JUDGES’ TOP SCORES!
The Open Mic UK singing competition winner 2015 Grand Final judges’ top scores have been revealed! The Open Mic UK singing competition winner’s Grand Final took …
OPEN MIC UK WINNER BIRDY SET FOR MORE CHART SUCCESS
Previous Open Mic UK Winner Birdy Releases New Single ‘Let It All Go’.
Open Mic UK Winner Birdy: Previous Open Mic UK winner Birdy is set for more chart success this …
HIGHWAY TO V FESTIVAL: WANT TO PLAY AT V FESTIVAL?
Win a slot at V Festival this summer!
Highway to V Festival: Do you want to perform at V Festival this summer? The line-up for V Festival this year includes; Kasabian, Calvin Harris, …
UK MUSIC CHART - FUTURE MUSIC ACTS GAIN UK MUSIC CHART SUCCESS
2015 sees previous Future Music contestants gaining UK music chart success.
UK Music Chart: 2015 has already been a fantastic year for music and in particular for former Future Music …
LONDON SINGING AUDITIONS 2016
Open Mic UK’s London singing auditions are on Sunday 14th August
London Singing Auditions 2016: The national singing competition Open Mic UK have announced their 2016 singing audition dates and the competition …
READING SINGING AUDITIONS 2016
Reading singing auditions on Saturday 17th September for Open Mic UK
Reading Singing Auditions 2016: Open Mic UK, the national singing competition holds singing auditions in 15 regions across the UK every year and …
NOTTINGHAM SINGING AUDITIONS 2016
Singing auditions in Nottingham on Saturday 10th September
Nottingham Singing Auditions 2016: Open Mic UK is on the hunt to find the best undiscovered talent in the UK and the competition is coming to Nottingham. …
MANCHESTER SINGING CONTEST
Singers were given feedback at the Manchester Regional Final Showcase
Manchester Singing Contest: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Manchester singing contest at The Royal Northern College …
Singers were given feedback at the Glasgow Auditions
Glasgow Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Glasgow auditions at Dance HQ in Glasgow this weekend. The Glasgow auditions gave singers and …
Singers were given feedback at the Newcastle Auditions
Newcastle Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Newcastle auditions at The Tyne Theatre and Opera House in Newcastle this weekend. The …
Singers were given feedback at the Reading Auditions
Reading Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Reading auditions at Sub89 in Reading this weekend. The Reading auditions gave singers and songwriters …
Singers were given feedback at the Camden Auditions
Camden Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Camden auditions at Dingwalls in Camden this weekend. The Camden auditions gave singers and …
Singers were given feedback at the Nottingham Auditions
Nottingham Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Nottingham auditions at The NEC in Nottingham this weekend. The Nottingham auditions gave …
Singers were given feedback at the Liverpool Auditions
Liverpool Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Liverpool auditions at The Liner Hotel in Liverpool this weekend. The Liverpool auditions gave …
Singers were given feedback at the Southampton Auditions
Southampton Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Southampton auditions at The 1865 in Southampton this weekend. The Southampton auditions …
BELFAST RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Belfast Regional Finals!
Belfast Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Belfast Regional Finals took place this weekend at Kings Hall in …
EXETER RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Exeter Regional Finals!
Exeter Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Exeter Regional Finals took place this weekend at Exeter Corn …
ESSEX RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Essex Regional Finals!
Essex Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Essex Regional Finals took place this weekend at Marconi Social Club in …
CAMDEN RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Camden Regional Finals!
Camden Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Camden Regional Finals took place this weekend at Dingwalls in …
READING RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Reading Regional Finals!
Reading Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Reading Regional Finals took place this weekend at Sub89 in …
NOTTINGHAM RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Nottingham Regional Finals!
Nottingham Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Nottingham Regional Finals took place this weekend …
MILTON KEYNES RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Milton Keynes Regional Finals!
Milton Keynes Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Milton Keynes Regional Finals took place …
NEWCASTLE RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Newcastle Regional Finals!
Newcastle Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Newcastle Regional Finals took place this weekend at …