APPROACHING A RECORD LABEL
Our advice on approaching a record label.
Approaching a record label. Before you go gung-ho sending emails and making phone calls to record labels, there's a few things to consider!
- Is it too soon? How long have you been performing? You need to be sure you are ready and that you have a back catalogue of songs that are of high quality.
- Is your live performance up to scratch? If a record label executive made a surprise trip to your gig, would you be putting on a blistering live show or would they walk away thinking how you were rooted to the spot, singing out of key and generally looking lost?
- Do you know where your music fits? Are you a soulful singer like Joss Stone or are you more pop orientated like Katy Perry? You need to be sure that the style you are going for is the direction you want to go.
- Are you unique? What do you offer to the music industry that’s different.
- When sending out you demo, is it of a high quality? Have you recorded it during a proper session at a studio? Is the song writing of a high standard or will the lyrics make no sense to whoever is listening? Is it your best vocal performance or was it your first take and that will do?
If you think you meet the above criteria then you are reading to begin contacting the record labels!
Get your music heard by major record label A & R by auditioning for Open Mic UK - enter the singing contest now.
HOW WILL I KNOW IF I'M READY?
Very crudely; are you or capable of making a sustainable living from music? Are you doing enough gigs, merchandise and selling music online to be a full time artist? A record label is unlikely to invest unless they see it working as a sustainable music business model that they can make money from. So if you are selling and getting booked enough it’s telling you, that there is a demand for you and an audience to sell your music too.
HOW DO I APPROACH A LABEL?
These days, record labels get inundated with demos and press releases by singers. Let’s not be under any illusions this is a difficult route and you need to make sure you stand out so you don’t end up getting skimmed over and discarded without a second glance.
- When approaching a label, try and pick ones that have an affiliation to your style of music. If you a pop singer, sending a demo to a heavy metal label will be a waste of time.
- Try and find out the name of the person you are contacting. It goes a long way to getting them to read the email you send. A simple ‘hi there’ will not draw their attention. They will assume you have just done a generic email sent to multiple people at once.
- Include a brief Bio that is engaging and interesting but perhaps a throw away that will tickle the reader like did you know Joe Bloggs can juggle 6 eggs in 1 hand.
- Throw in some quotes. If people have been saying you’re a great singer, put it in there to back up your belief in yourself.
- A recent photo of yourself. Keep it professional, not you on a night out the other day.
- Contact details: Phone number, email address and social media web links.
Be prepared that you may not hear back! Some may argue building up your own record sales, social media reach and higher profile gigs to network at will be more fruitful! Plus you’ll hopefully be getting a return from the gigs and sales.
IS THERE A GOOD TIME TO SEND AN EMAIL?
The timing of sending an email to a record label is very important!
- Don’t send it over a holiday or at the weekend. Monday morning will be when an email inbox is at its fullest, so chances are most emails will be skimmed over and discarded just to get through them. Wait until later in the week, maybe a Wednesday afternoon once things have calmed down.
- Maybe try sending the email when you have good news to report. If you have an EP launch approaching or a slot supporting a well known singer, it gives your email some clout and will make it of more interest to the recipient of the email.
- Time sending it to coincide with you having some gigs lined up around the area the record label is based and invite them to come down. This gives them a chance to check you out in the flesh as opposed to relying on your demo. Make sure the show is accessible so the record label has a genuine chance of seeing you before they forget about you!
APPROACHING A RECORD LABEL
Check out our other tips for singers below and check out our Open Mic UK singing auditions by clicking here.
Choosing the right recording studio and producer for you.
To keep up-to-date with other advice for singers, keep an eye on the Open Mic UK Facebook and Twitter pages:
Click the above buttons so you don't miss out!
If you found this article useful, share it here:
DORSET OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
The top 10 of Dorset's open mic nights. We take a look at the best open mic nights that the county of Dorset has to offer singers and musicians.
There’s a ton of opportunities to enjoy some fantastic live …
BOURNEMOUTH OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
With new bars and music venues popping up all over, there’s definitely a buzz about Bournemouth.
Open Mic Finder in Bournemouth
Bournemouth not only possesses a gorgeous coastline and vibrant …
TOP 10 OPEN MIC NIGHTS SOUTHAMPTON 2018
Open Mic Finder in Southampton
Southampton may be best known for its connection to the Titanic, but the city has also made a name for itself through its thriving music scene. This bustling …
HOW TO RAP
Rapping with confidence, control, and emotion.
How to Rap - Five Key Areas of Focus
How to Rap: In this article we have focused on five key areas to help you improve your rapping techinique.Lyrics are the fundamental part of any rap …
MUSIC ARTIST MANAGEMENT
What does Music Artist Management do?
Music Artist Management: All music mangers vary and can do an array of different jobs to help artists develop every aspect of their music careers. What a manager does for you …
LOOKING FOR A MUSIC MANAGER?
Should you be looking for a music manager?
Looking for a music manager?: Certainly what we’d advise especially when starting out is just concentrate on your own affairs to begin with before you start looking …
WRITING A PRESS RELEASE
Putting together and writing a press release
Writing a press release: You need something to back up your words explaining your story for your newspaper article, that’s where writing a press release, comes in. …
Choosing a recording studio for your music production
Music Production: You’ve spent time and effort writing your own material, so when it comes to music production – laying down your tracks, choosing a …
JAMES NEILSON CROWNED OPEN MIC UK 2017 CHAMPION!
Future Music have crowned James Neilson Open Mic UK's 2017 overall winner
Open Mic UK 2017 Champion: The national music competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of …
OPEN MIC UK 2017 PRIZE WINNERS
Judges’ Top Scores and Prize Winners Announced
Open Mic UK 2017 Prize Winners: The Open Mic UK 2017 Grand Final judges’ top scores and prize winners have been revealed! The national music competition …
TeenStar 2018 Audition Dates Now Released!
TeenStar 2018 audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only singing and dance competition exclusively for 19 year olds and younger, have now released their 2018 audition dates! …
MUSIC COMPETITION OPEN MIC UK 2017 AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017 have been announced!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017! The Open Mic UK music …
SAM CLINES CROWNED OPEN MIC UK 2016 CHAMPION!
Future Music have crowned Sam Clines Open Mic UK's 2016 overall winner
Open Mic UK winner: The national singing competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of prestigious …
OPEN MIC UK MUSIC COMPETITION WINNER – JUDGES’ TOP SCORES!
The Open Mic UK music competition winner 2016 Grand Final judges’ top scores have been revealed! The Open Mic UK music competition Grand Final took place at The NEC in …
TeenStar audition dates now released!
TeenStar audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only competition exclusively for pre-teens and teenagers, have now released their audition dates! And new for this year it’s also open …
AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions for Open Mic UK 2016 are announced today!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2016! The Open Mic UK music competition auditions will be …
A&R MUSIC – ADVICE FROM THE MUSIC INDUSTRY
A&R music industry professionals provide advice from the Grand Final.
A&R Music: The Open Mic UK music competition grand final hosted the best unsigned singers from across the …
NORTH EAST MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for the North East Music Contest at Dewsbury Town Hall
North East Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like …
SOUTH ENDLAND MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for South England Music Contest at The Engine Rooms
South England Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d …
NORTH WEST AND SCOTLAND MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for North West and Scotland Music Contest at The Forum Theatre
North West and Scotland Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a …
MIDLANDS MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for Midlands Music Contest at The NEC
Midlands Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like advice on how to develop as …
LONDON MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for London music opportunities at the Beck Theatre
London Music Opportunities: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like advice on how …
READING MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for Reading music opportunities at Sub89
Reading Music Opportunities: Open Mic UK gave budding singers Reading music opportunities at the weekend. The …
SHEFFIELD MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for Sheffield music opportunities at The Sheffield City Hall
Sheffield Music Opportunities: Open Mic UK gave budding singers Sheffield music …