BUILDING STAGE CONFIDENCE FOR SINGERS
How to combat stage fright!
Building stage confidence for singers. If you have never performed in front of an audience before, no doubt the nerves will be getting to you. Stage fright or nerves is something that can and will have to be overcome if you want to be a successful singer. There are ways to help build stage confidence.
- Firstly practice so that your performance is rehearsed to the full and becomes ingrained. Filming it and/or performing a few dry runs in front of trusted friends or family will hopefully make your performance second nature and you'll know exactly what you will be doing when on stage.
- Analyse some live performances by your favourite artists and see how they act on stage. See their mannerisms, how they use the space on stage and how they interact with the audience; this will help you incorporate elements of performance into yours.
- On the day try and ease all tension and relax your body. This will ease your mind and steady your voice. Try having a small snack to settle your stomach, but not so you feel full. A banana is a good example. Chewing gum can help relieve tension in your jaw, but if you haven’t eaten, don’t chew for too long, it can cause digestion issues.
- Try meditating! It may sound silly, but it can help put you at ease. Find a quiet place, get in a comfortable position and shut your eyes. Think of anything that relaxes you, anything that isn’t your performance.
- Try and avoid taking in caffeine! You may think it will boost your energy but it is more likely to give you even more jitters and nerves. Not to mention it is bad for the vocal chords!
- Get some exercise! Aim for at least half an hour. Anything from a jog or a long walk to a weight lifting session. This will release tension and get the endorphins going.
- Laugh often! Watching a comedy film in the morning or hanging around with friends before the show. Laughing will relax you and ease the nervousness.
- Show up early! This will relieve any nerves about being late or having any last minute hitches!
- Try creating a pre-show ritual. You would be surprised how many singers have one! Whether it's something as simple as having a game of pool two hours before the show or something more complex like an hour gym session followed by a walk and ending up with you watching your favourite TV show. If it works for you and puts you at ease, do it!
GIVING A CONFIDENT ON-STAGE PERFORMANCE
- Now that you’re prepared as best as you can which will help you overcome the stage fright, it’s time to put into practice all the rehearsing and ensure you perform to the best of your ability and not be standing still.
- Always look at the audience or just above them, not at the floor. They are here to see you so look their way. If you need to pick a spot to focus on where no one is sitting, do it.
- Avoid long pauses! Don’t make errors known; chances are the audience didn’t even notice it.
- Show emotion to the crowd. Look happy to be there and interact with them during and after songs. Showing them that you are having fun will, over time, loosen you up to the point nerves will never be an issue and you will be itching to get up on stage.
- Know what to do with your hands! If you are flapping them about or have them in your pocket it's not going to look that professional.
- You could consider bringing in a gimmick. Costumes are a common one, wearing something that will get people talking. Or creating some stage props to have on hand to mess with. Only use it if it can be maintained. If you get too hot, you can't take the costume off mid set. It needs to be something achievable.
- Try and have energy in your performance. Use the stage, go from side to side and interact with the fans. If it's an appropriate song jump around and avoid being stood there doing nothing. Have your spatial awareness about you. As long as you are confident in your abilities, entertaining should come naturally.
BUILDING STAGE CONFIDENCE FOR SINGERS
Check out our other tips for singers below and check out our Open Mic UK singing audition dates by clicking here.
To keep up-to-date with other advice for singers, keep an eye on the Open Mic UK Facebook and Twitter pages:
Click the above buttons so you don't miss out!
MUSIC ARTIST MANAGEMENT
What does Music Artist Management do?
Music Artist Management: All music mangers vary and can do an array of different jobs to help artists develop every aspect of their music careers. What a manager does for you …
LOOKING FOR A MUSIC MANAGER?
Should you be looking for a music manager?
Looking for a music manager?: Certainly what we’d advise especially when starting out is just concentrate on your own affairs to begin with before you start looking …
WRITING A PRESS RELEASE
Putting together and writing a press release
Writing a press release: You need something to back up your words explaining your story for your newspaper article, that’s where writing a press release, comes in. …
Choosing a recording studio for your music production
Music Production: You’ve spent time and effort writing your own material, so when it comes to music production – laying down your tracks, choosing a …
Using YouTube and uploading videos
Using YouTube: YouTube is the most popular video platform for singers as we go to print, so using YouTube can be a great platform, although Facebook are keen to take a piece of this market, so …
Using the right Facebook tools for promotion
Facebook Tools: Facebook is still one of the best marketing platforms for singers, musicians and songwriters to promote their music and events on, therefore utilising Facebook tools can …
Facebook posts and content rules
Facebook Posts: Getting your Facebook posts right is important. Post too little and you are in danger of getting lost in people's news feeds and forgotten. Post too much and you will irritate …
Facebook help to get you started
Facebook help: One of the first steps with your Facebook help is to make sure your bio, picture and information are as clear as possible. Also, make sure your profile picture on Facebook is …
AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions for Open Mic UK 2016 are announced today!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2016! The Open Mic UK music competition auditions will be …
OPEN MIC UK SINGING COMPETITION WINNER – JUDGES’ TOP SCORES!
The Open Mic UK singing competition winner 2015 Grand Final judges’ top scores have been revealed! The Open Mic UK singing competition winner’s Grand Final took …
OPEN MIC UK WINNER BIRDY SET FOR MORE CHART SUCCESS
Previous Open Mic UK Winner Birdy Releases New Single ‘Let It All Go’.
Open Mic UK Winner Birdy: Previous Open Mic UK winner Birdy is set for more chart success this …
HIGHWAY TO V FESTIVAL: WANT TO PLAY AT V FESTIVAL?
Win a slot at V Festival this summer!
Highway to V Festival: Do you want to perform at V Festival this summer? The line-up for V Festival this year includes; Kasabian, Calvin Harris, …
UK MUSIC CHART - FUTURE MUSIC ACTS GAIN UK MUSIC CHART SUCCESS
2015 sees previous Future Music contestants gaining UK music chart success.
UK Music Chart: 2015 has already been a fantastic year for music and in particular for former Future Music …
LONDON SINGING AUDITIONS 2016
Open Mic UK’s London singing auditions are on Sunday 14th August
London Singing Auditions 2016: The national singing competition Open Mic UK have announced their 2016 singing audition dates and the competition …
READING SINGING AUDITIONS 2016
Reading singing auditions on Saturday 17th September for Open Mic UK
Reading Singing Auditions 2016: Open Mic UK, the national singing competition holds singing auditions in 15 regions across the UK every year and …
NOTTINGHAM SINGING AUDITIONS 2016
Singing auditions in Nottingham on Saturday 10th September
Nottingham Singing Auditions 2016: Open Mic UK is on the hunt to find the best undiscovered talent in the UK and the competition is coming to Nottingham. …
MANCHESTER SINGING CONTEST
Singers were given feedback at the Manchester Regional Final Showcase
Manchester Singing Contest: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Manchester singing contest at The Royal Northern College …
Singers were given feedback at the Glasgow Auditions
Glasgow Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Glasgow auditions at Dance HQ in Glasgow this weekend. The Glasgow auditions gave singers and …
Singers were given feedback at the Newcastle Auditions
Newcastle Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Newcastle auditions at The Tyne Theatre and Opera House in Newcastle this weekend. The …
Singers were given feedback at the Reading Auditions
Reading Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Reading auditions at Sub89 in Reading this weekend. The Reading auditions gave singers and songwriters …
Singers were given feedback at the Camden Auditions
Camden Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Camden auditions at Dingwalls in Camden this weekend. The Camden auditions gave singers and …
Singers were given feedback at the Nottingham Auditions
Nottingham Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Nottingham auditions at The NEC in Nottingham this weekend. The Nottingham auditions gave …
Singers were given feedback at the Liverpool Auditions
Liverpool Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Liverpool auditions at The Liner Hotel in Liverpool this weekend. The Liverpool auditions gave …
Singers were given feedback at the Southampton Auditions
Southampton Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Southampton auditions at The 1865 in Southampton this weekend. The Southampton auditions …
BELFAST RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Belfast Regional Finals!
Belfast Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Belfast Regional Finals took place this weekend at Kings Hall in …
EXETER RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Exeter Regional Finals!
Exeter Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Exeter Regional Finals took place this weekend at Exeter Corn …
ESSEX RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Essex Regional Finals!
Essex Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Essex Regional Finals took place this weekend at Marconi Social Club in …
CAMDEN RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Camden Regional Finals!
Camden Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Camden Regional Finals took place this weekend at Dingwalls in …
READING RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Reading Regional Finals!
Reading Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Reading Regional Finals took place this weekend at Sub89 in …
NOTTINGHAM RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Nottingham Regional Finals!
Nottingham Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Nottingham Regional Finals took place this weekend …
MILTON KEYNES RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Milton Keynes Regional Finals!
Milton Keynes Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Milton Keynes Regional Finals took place …
NEWCASTLE RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Newcastle Regional Finals!
Newcastle Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Newcastle Regional Finals took place this weekend at …