MUSIC VIDEOS - MAKING A MUSIC VIDEO
How to make a music video as a singer
Music videos - making a music video: After you have recorded your music professionally and your fan base is building nicely, the next logical step would be to make a music video to accompany the strongest song you have. However make sure the timing is right and ask yourself what you want to achieve by doing the music video.
Get your music heard by major record label A&R by entering Open Mic UK here.
Once agreed it’s the next logical step chose the song you want to use, there are some things you need to decide on first before putting the wheels in motion:
- Know your song inside out! What emotions and feelings does the song bring out when you listen to it? Is there a story in the lyrics that would play out well in music video? Is the song upbeat, or a slow ballad? Once you have established these facts, you can brainstorm ideas for the narrative of the music video.
- What is your budget? If your budget is tight, going for a lavish, over the top music video is doomed to fail when you can’t afford to carry on production. You need to be realistic. Some of the most well-known songs had music videos created for next to nothing. Once you have settled on a budget and narrative, figure out ways to create the music video in accordance with your budget. If you know people who study costume design for example, ask them if they want to get involved. People who know that their work will get noticed by the public for being in your music video are more than likely to be happy to help out! Doing things this way will save you money hiring individuals for each area of the video production. Budgets can easily get out of hand and equipment is expensive so have your budget and keep to it.
- Create a mood board, decide on filming locations. Will it be indoor or outdoors or a mixture? Will it all be in one place or at multiple locations? Be creative! It doesn’t necessarily need to be the area you have in mind. More practical locations may look similar or with a few props be just as good. It needs to be an accessible location and one you can be at without having any issues. For example, trying to film in a busy high street or inside a supermarket, some of the best videos are the best location ideas.
FILMING MUSIC VIDEOS
Once you have the idea for your music video and know your budget and where filming will take place, it’s time to create a story board for the video so everybody is clear to you ideas and what you want to achieve.
- Storyboards are essentially what a comic book is. Each segment will form a different part of the music video. The storyboard can either following the structure of the song, or is based on the narrative you have chosen. Once you know what you want to happen and where, you need to listen to the song and decide how to transition between each segment. You are the judge on if what’s happening visually links to what is happening musically. For example, if it were a slow section, having a car chase would not match the audio.
- Pick the crew to film the video. It is beneficial you have people who know what they are doing and have access to good quality equipment. However of course budget will dictate so that’s the compromise. As much as it would save you money having a mate film it on his hand held video camera, it maybe won’t give a professional quality video. The people you pick should ideally have experience filming the kind of video you are after. That way, not only will they have the know how to get the best video possible technically, but they may also pitch in ideas to add to the video to help make it even better. Audition any actors you want to use so you get the best people for the roles you need.
- As long as each section has been planned then filming the video shouldn’t pose any problems. Cue the music so the actors can lip sync in time with the song and so can any musicians in the video. There’s no pint have the guitarist look like he is playing a solo if it’s the middle of a verse. Try shooting from different angles in different takes and then mixing it up when it comes to editing. Only use the best takes you have, even the smallest flaw will look unprofessional. Once everything is edited together, and you put the music track over the video, it will be complete!
MUSIC VIDEOS - MAKING A MUSIC VIDEO
Check out our other tips for singers below and check out our Open Mic UK singing audition dates by clicking here.
To keep up-to-date with other advice for singers, keep an eye on the Open Mic UK Facebook and Twitter pages:
Click the above buttons so you don't miss out!
MUSIC ARTIST MANAGEMENT
What does Music Artist Management do?
Music Artist Management: All music mangers vary and can do an array of different jobs to help artists develop every aspect of their music careers. What a manager does for you …
LOOKING FOR A MUSIC MANAGER?
Should you be looking for a music manager?
Looking for a music manager?: Certainly what we’d advise especially when starting out is just concentrate on your own affairs to begin with before you start looking …
WRITING A PRESS RELEASE
Putting together and writing a press release
Writing a press release: You need something to back up your words explaining your story for your newspaper article, that’s where writing a press release, comes in. …
Choosing a recording studio for your music production
Music Production: You’ve spent time and effort writing your own material, so when it comes to music production – laying down your tracks, choosing a …
Using YouTube and uploading videos
Using YouTube: YouTube is the most popular video platform for singers as we go to print, so using YouTube can be a great platform, although Facebook are keen to take a piece of this market, so …
Using the right Facebook tools for promotion
Facebook Tools: Facebook is still one of the best marketing platforms for singers, musicians and songwriters to promote their music and events on, therefore utilising Facebook tools can …
Facebook posts and content rules
Facebook Posts: Getting your Facebook posts right is important. Post too little and you are in danger of getting lost in people's news feeds and forgotten. Post too much and you will irritate …
Facebook help to get you started
Facebook help: One of the first steps with your Facebook help is to make sure your bio, picture and information are as clear as possible. Also, make sure your profile picture on Facebook is …
SAM CLINES CROWNED OPEN MIC UK 2016 CHAMPION!
Future Music have crowned Sam Clines Open Mic UK's 2016 overall winner
Open Mic UK winner: The national singing competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of prestigious …
OPEN MIC UK MUSIC COMPETITION WINNER – JUDGES’ TOP SCORES!
The Open Mic UK music competition winner 2016 Grand Final judges’ top scores have been revealed! The Open Mic UK music competition Grand Final took place at The NEC in …
TeenStar audition dates now released!
TeenStar audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only competition exclusively for pre-teens and teenagers, have now released their audition dates! And new for this year it’s also open …
AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions for Open Mic UK 2016 are announced today!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2016! The Open Mic UK music competition auditions will be …
OPEN MIC UK SINGING COMPETITION WINNER – JUDGES’ TOP SCORES!
The Open Mic UK singing competition winner 2015 Grand Final judges’ top scores have been revealed! The Open Mic UK singing competition winner’s Grand Final took …
OPEN MIC UK WINNER BIRDY SET FOR MORE CHART SUCCESS
Previous Open Mic UK Winner Birdy Releases New Single ‘Let It All Go’.
Open Mic UK Winner Birdy: Previous Open Mic UK winner Birdy is set for more chart success this …
HIGHWAY TO V FESTIVAL: WANT TO PLAY AT V FESTIVAL?
Win a slot at V Festival this summer!
Highway to V Festival: Do you want to perform at V Festival this summer? The line-up for V Festival this year includes; Kasabian, Calvin Harris, …
UK MUSIC CHART - FUTURE MUSIC ACTS GAIN UK MUSIC CHART SUCCESS
2015 sees previous Future Music contestants gaining UK music chart success.
UK Music Chart: 2015 has already been a fantastic year for music and in particular for former Future Music …
Music Industry Feedback
Open Mic UK 2016 Grand Finalists received music industry feedback
Music Industry Feedback: The Open Mic UK Grand Final took place this weekend at The NEC in Birmingham and saw the best singers, singer-songwriters, …
NORTH WEST ENGLAND SINGING COMPETITION
Feedback was written for the Area Finalists at the North West England Singing Competition
North West England Singing Competition: Music industry judges gave the Open Mic UK Area finalists feedback at …
SOUTH WEST AND MIDLANDS SINGING COMPETITION
Singers were given feedback at the South West and Midlands Showcase Final
South West and Midlands Singing Competition: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the South …
LONDON ENGLAND SINGING COMPETITION
Singers were given feedback at the London England Showcase Final
London England Singing Competition: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the London England Singing …
NORTH EAST ENGLAND SINGING COMPETITION
Singers were given feedback at the North East England Showcase Final
North East England Singing Competition: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the North East England …
SOUTHERN ENGLAND SINGING COMPETITION
Singers were given feedback at the Southern England Showcase Final
Southern England Singing Competition: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Southern England Singing …
GLASGOW SINGING COMPETITION
Singers were given feedback at the Glasgow Regional Final Showcase
Glasgow Singing Competition: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Glasgow singing competition at Airdrie Town …
NEWCASTLE SINGING CONTEST
Singers were given feedback at the Newscastle Regional Final Showcase
Newcastle Singing Contest: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Newcastle singing contest at The Tyne Theatre & …
BELFAST RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Belfast Regional Finals!
Belfast Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Belfast Regional Finals took place this weekend at Kings Hall in …
EXETER RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Exeter Regional Finals!
Exeter Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Exeter Regional Finals took place this weekend at Exeter Corn …
ESSEX RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Essex Regional Finals!
Essex Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Essex Regional Finals took place this weekend at Marconi Social Club in …
CAMDEN RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Camden Regional Finals!
Camden Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Camden Regional Finals took place this weekend at Dingwalls in …
READING RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Reading Regional Finals!
Reading Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Reading Regional Finals took place this weekend at Sub89 in …
NOTTINGHAM RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Nottingham Regional Finals!
Nottingham Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Nottingham Regional Finals took place this weekend …
MILTON KEYNES RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Milton Keynes Regional Finals!
Milton Keynes Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Milton Keynes Regional Finals took place …
NEWCASTLE RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Newcastle Regional Finals!
Newcastle Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Newcastle Regional Finals took place this weekend at …