GETTING SUPPORT GIGS AS A SINGER
Targeting headlining performers to have support slots with!
Getting support gigs. Supporting a bigger performer than yourself is a great way to get your music heard by a much larger audience. Obviously this doesn’t mean go emailing Lady Gaga and Beyonce trying to get on their tours as it will be a waste of time. Firstly start with singers/bands with a good local following who are of similar style to your music. Getting support gigs is a great opportunity to expand your fan base.
- Check for upcoming shows in your local area. Figure out which shows you can make and find out if they have already announced their support acts. If not, get in touch and offer your services.
- Go to their gigs and local events.
- Open Mic nights can be one way to network for contacts and other acts.
- For smaller, more local shows it is often the promoter who puts acts forward for support slots. Having a good reputation, both in terms of fan base and performance level, will help you here.
- Usually the good promoters who put on bigger shows in your area are the ones who deal with bigger acts, so try and get on the bills of some of their smaller shows and get known by them.
- If you haven’t had any shows with the promoters, get in touch for them and give them your details. Always be prepared for an act to drop out at the last minute so you get the call to step in. It could be the show that moves you up the ladder!
- Try to find an act's booking agents contact email. Contacting them directly, without getting pushy or forceful, can help build up a rapport on a personal level!
WHY SHOULD THEY PICK YOU FOR A SUPPORT SLOT?
An artist in the position to pick their support acts probably gets a fair few requests. You need to make yourself stand out. Ideally you do that by word of mouth and reputation that you are not only good but have a fanbase. Either way you may need to make them check your demo out rather than press delete without giving you so much as a glance. The key to getting the gig is that they will want an act that can boost ticket sales and warm the crowd up for them. You need to prove that you have the fan base and stage performance that can do this!
MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR SUPPORT SLOT!
Now you have your slot on the bill, you have to put on the best show you can to win over new fans and leave a good impression on the headliners.
- Fulfill any promotional commitments you make. Plug the show to your existing fan base and in the local area to generate interest and hopefully boost sales. This will leave a good impression on the headliner and the promoter if you are actively driving ticket sales!
- Use the opportunity to write a press release and get more exposure for the event and yourself.
- Where possible, try and leave time free after the gig in case it goes well and they ask you back for more shows. If you already have shows lined up, be honest. Honesty is the best policy, don’t try and wing it until right up to the show and end up messing up both commitments.
- Sort out technical aspects of the gig in advance. Find out if the headlining act doesn’t mind you bringing your own gear or if they would rather share to save change over time and stage space. Always have spares, such as batteries or guitar strings!
- Always treat the sound engineer with respect. He is responsible for your sound, always stay polite!
- Inform them of any visuals or unusual technical requirements you have, such as a banjo in one song. Writing a small tech spec to hand to the engineer on arrival is a good idea, make it clear and concise. Always ask in a polite manner.
- Find out if you can sell some of your own merchandise. Its better to ask than just assume you can!
- Make sure you know what time you are in for load-in and sound check! If you work full-time make sure you make appropriate arrangements well in advance if you need to take an afternoon off. Always get there early! Being fashionably late will do you no favours.
- Always thank the promoter and sound engineer after the gig, you never know when you may need to call upon them again.
GETTING SUPPORT GIGS AS A SINGER
Check out our other tips for singers below and check out our Open Mic UK singing audition dates by clicking here.
To keep up-to-date with other advice for singers, keep an eye on the Open Mic UK Facebook and Twitter pages:
Click the above buttons so you don't miss out!
DORSET OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
The top 10 of Dorset's open mic nights. We take a look at the best open mic nights that the county of Dorset has to offer singers and musicians.
There’s a ton of opportunities to enjoy some fantastic live …
BOURNEMOUTH OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
With new bars and music venues popping up all over, there’s definitely a buzz about Bournemouth.
Open Mic Finder in Bournemouth
Bournemouth not only possesses a gorgeous coastline and vibrant …
TOP 10 OPEN MIC NIGHTS SOUTHAMPTON 2018
Open Mic Finder in Southampton
Southampton may be best known for its connection to the Titanic, but the city has also made a name for itself through its thriving music scene. This bustling …
HOW TO RAP
Rapping with confidence, control, and emotion.
How to Rap - Five Key Areas of Focus
How to Rap: In this article we have focused on five key areas to help you improve your rapping techinique.Lyrics are the fundamental part of any rap …
MUSIC ARTIST MANAGEMENT
What does Music Artist Management do?
Music Artist Management: All music mangers vary and can do an array of different jobs to help artists develop every aspect of their music careers. What a manager does for you …
LOOKING FOR A MUSIC MANAGER?
Should you be looking for a music manager?
Looking for a music manager?: Certainly what we’d advise especially when starting out is just concentrate on your own affairs to begin with before you start looking …
WRITING A PRESS RELEASE
Putting together and writing a press release
Writing a press release: You need something to back up your words explaining your story for your newspaper article, that’s where writing a press release, comes in. …
Choosing a recording studio for your music production
Music Production: You’ve spent time and effort writing your own material, so when it comes to music production – laying down your tracks, choosing a …
JAMES NEILSON CROWNED OPEN MIC UK 2017 CHAMPION!
Future Music have crowned James Neilson Open Mic UK's 2017 overall winner
Open Mic UK 2017 Champion: The national music competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of …
OPEN MIC UK 2017 PRIZE WINNERS
Judges’ Top Scores and Prize Winners Announced
Open Mic UK 2017 Prize Winners: The Open Mic UK 2017 Grand Final judges’ top scores and prize winners have been revealed! The national music competition …
TeenStar 2018 Audition Dates Now Released!
TeenStar 2018 audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only singing and dance competition exclusively for 19 year olds and younger, have now released their 2018 audition dates! …
MUSIC COMPETITION OPEN MIC UK 2017 AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017 have been announced!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017! The Open Mic UK music …
SAM CLINES CROWNED OPEN MIC UK 2016 CHAMPION!
Future Music have crowned Sam Clines Open Mic UK's 2016 overall winner
Open Mic UK winner: The national singing competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of prestigious …
OPEN MIC UK MUSIC COMPETITION WINNER – JUDGES’ TOP SCORES!
The Open Mic UK music competition winner 2016 Grand Final judges’ top scores have been revealed! The Open Mic UK music competition Grand Final took place at The NEC in …
TeenStar audition dates now released!
TeenStar audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only competition exclusively for pre-teens and teenagers, have now released their audition dates! And new for this year it’s also open …
AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions for Open Mic UK 2016 are announced today!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2016! The Open Mic UK music competition auditions will be …
A&R MUSIC – ADVICE FROM THE MUSIC INDUSTRY
A&R music industry professionals provide advice from the Grand Final.
A&R Music: The Open Mic UK music competition grand final hosted the best unsigned singers from across the …
NORTH EAST MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for the North East Music Contest at Dewsbury Town Hall
North East Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like …
SOUTH ENDLAND MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for South England Music Contest at The Engine Rooms
South England Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d …
NORTH WEST AND SCOTLAND MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for North West and Scotland Music Contest at The Forum Theatre
North West and Scotland Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a …
MIDLANDS MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for Midlands Music Contest at The NEC
Midlands Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like advice on how to develop as …
LONDON MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for London music opportunities at the Beck Theatre
London Music Opportunities: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like advice on how …
READING MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for Reading music opportunities at Sub89
Reading Music Opportunities: Open Mic UK gave budding singers Reading music opportunities at the weekend. The …
SHEFFIELD MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for Sheffield music opportunities at The Sheffield City Hall
Sheffield Music Opportunities: Open Mic UK gave budding singers Sheffield music …