GETTING SUPPORT GIGS AS A SINGER
Targeting headlining performers to have support slots with!
Getting support gigs. Supporting a bigger performer than yourself is a great way to get your music heard by a much larger audience. Obviously this doesn’t mean go emailing Lady Gaga and Beyonce trying to get on their tours as it will be a waste of time. Firstly start with singers/bands with a good local following who are of similar style to your music. Getting support gigs is a great opportunity to expand your fan base.
- Check for upcoming shows in your local area. Figure out which shows you can make and find out if they have already announced their support acts. If not, get in touch and offer your services.
- Go to their gigs and local events.
- Open Mic nights can be one way to network for contacts and other acts.
- For smaller, more local shows it is often the promoter who puts acts forward for support slots. Having a good reputation, both in terms of fan base and performance level, will help you here.
- Usually the good promoters who put on bigger shows in your area are the ones who deal with bigger acts, so try and get on the bills of some of their smaller shows and get known by them.
- If you haven’t had any shows with the promoters, get in touch for them and give them your details. Always be prepared for an act to drop out at the last minute so you get the call to step in. It could be the show that moves you up the ladder!
- Try to find an act's booking agents contact email. Contacting them directly, without getting pushy or forceful, can help build up a rapport on a personal level!
WHY SHOULD THEY PICK YOU FOR A SUPPORT SLOT?
An artist in the position to pick their support acts probably gets a fair few requests. You need to make yourself stand out. Ideally you do that by word of mouth and reputation that you are not only good but have a fanbase. Either way you may need to make them check your demo out rather than press delete without giving you so much as a glance. The key to getting the gig is that they will want an act that can boost ticket sales and warm the crowd up for them. You need to prove that you have the fan base and stage performance that can do this!
MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR SUPPORT SLOT!
Now you have your slot on the bill, you have to put on the best show you can to win over new fans and leave a good impression on the headliners.
- Fulfill any promotional commitments you make. Plug the show to your existing fan base and in the local area to generate interest and hopefully boost sales. This will leave a good impression on the headliner and the promoter if you are actively driving ticket sales!
- Use the opportunity to write a press release and get more exposure for the event and yourself.
- Where possible, try and leave time free after the gig in case it goes well and they ask you back for more shows. If you already have shows lined up, be honest. Honesty is the best policy, don’t try and wing it until right up to the show and end up messing up both commitments.
- Sort out technical aspects of the gig in advance. Find out if the headlining act doesn’t mind you bringing your own gear or if they would rather share to save change over time and stage space. Always have spares, such as batteries or guitar strings!
- Always treat the sound engineer with respect. He is responsible for your sound, always stay polite!
- Inform them of any visuals or unusual technical requirements you have, such as a banjo in one song. Writing a small tech spec to hand to the engineer on arrival is a good idea, make it clear and concise. Always ask in a polite manner.
- Find out if you can sell some of your own merchandise. Its better to ask than just assume you can!
- Make sure you know what time you are in for load-in and sound check! If you work full-time make sure you make appropriate arrangements well in advance if you need to take an afternoon off. Always get there early! Being fashionably late will do you no favours.
- Always thank the promoter and sound engineer after the gig, you never know when you may need to call upon them again.
GETTING SUPPORT GIGS AS A SINGER
Check out our other tips for singers below and check out our Open Mic UK singing audition dates by clicking here.
To keep up-to-date with other advice for singers, keep an eye on the Open Mic UK Facebook and Twitter pages:
Click the above buttons so you don't miss out!
MUSIC ARTIST MANAGEMENT
What does Music Artist Management do?
Music Artist Management: All music mangers vary and can do an array of different jobs to help artists develop every aspect of their music careers. What a manager does for you …
LOOKING FOR A MUSIC MANAGER?
Should you be looking for a music manager?
Looking for a music manager?: Certainly what we’d advise especially when starting out is just concentrate on your own affairs to begin with before you start looking …
WRITING A PRESS RELEASE
Putting together and writing a press release
Writing a press release: You need something to back up your words explaining your story for your newspaper article, that’s where writing a press release, comes in. …
Choosing a recording studio for your music production
Music Production: You’ve spent time and effort writing your own material, so when it comes to music production – laying down your tracks, choosing a …
Using YouTube and uploading videos
Using YouTube: YouTube is the most popular video platform for singers as we go to print, so using YouTube can be a great platform, although Facebook are keen to take a piece of this market, so …
Using the right Facebook tools for promotion
Facebook Tools: Facebook is still one of the best marketing platforms for singers, musicians and songwriters to promote their music and events on, therefore utilising Facebook tools can …
Facebook posts and content rules
Facebook Posts: Getting your Facebook posts right is important. Post too little and you are in danger of getting lost in people's news feeds and forgotten. Post too much and you will irritate …
Facebook help to get you started
Facebook help: One of the first steps with your Facebook help is to make sure your bio, picture and information are as clear as possible. Also, make sure your profile picture on Facebook is …
AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions for Open Mic UK 2016 are announced today!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2016! The Open Mic UK music competition auditions will be …
OPEN MIC UK SINGING COMPETITION WINNER – JUDGES’ TOP SCORES!
The Open Mic UK singing competition winner 2015 Grand Final judges’ top scores have been revealed! The Open Mic UK singing competition winner’s Grand Final took …
OPEN MIC UK WINNER BIRDY SET FOR MORE CHART SUCCESS
Previous Open Mic UK Winner Birdy Releases New Single ‘Let It All Go’.
Open Mic UK Winner Birdy: Previous Open Mic UK winner Birdy is set for more chart success this …
HIGHWAY TO V FESTIVAL: WANT TO PLAY AT V FESTIVAL?
Win a slot at V Festival this summer!
Highway to V Festival: Do you want to perform at V Festival this summer? The line-up for V Festival this year includes; Kasabian, Calvin Harris, …
UK MUSIC CHART - FUTURE MUSIC ACTS GAIN UK MUSIC CHART SUCCESS
2015 sees previous Future Music contestants gaining UK music chart success.
UK Music Chart: 2015 has already been a fantastic year for music and in particular for former Future Music …
LONDON SINGING AUDITIONS 2016
Open Mic UK’s London singing auditions are on Sunday 14th August
London Singing Auditions 2016: The national singing competition Open Mic UK have announced their 2016 singing audition dates and the competition …
READING SINGING AUDITIONS 2016
Reading singing auditions on Saturday 17th September for Open Mic UK
Reading Singing Auditions 2016: Open Mic UK, the national singing competition holds singing auditions in 15 regions across the UK every year and …
NOTTINGHAM SINGING AUDITIONS 2016
Singing auditions in Nottingham on Saturday 10th September
Nottingham Singing Auditions 2016: Open Mic UK is on the hunt to find the best undiscovered talent in the UK and the competition is coming to Nottingham. …
MANCHESTER SINGING CONTEST
Singers were given feedback at the Manchester Regional Final Showcase
Manchester Singing Contest: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Manchester singing contest at The Royal Northern College …
Singers were given feedback at the Glasgow Auditions
Glasgow Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Glasgow auditions at Dance HQ in Glasgow this weekend. The Glasgow auditions gave singers and …
Singers were given feedback at the Newcastle Auditions
Newcastle Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Newcastle auditions at The Tyne Theatre and Opera House in Newcastle this weekend. The …
Singers were given feedback at the Reading Auditions
Reading Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Reading auditions at Sub89 in Reading this weekend. The Reading auditions gave singers and songwriters …
Singers were given feedback at the Camden Auditions
Camden Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Camden auditions at Dingwalls in Camden this weekend. The Camden auditions gave singers and …
Singers were given feedback at the Nottingham Auditions
Nottingham Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Nottingham auditions at The NEC in Nottingham this weekend. The Nottingham auditions gave …
Singers were given feedback at the Liverpool Auditions
Liverpool Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Liverpool auditions at The Liner Hotel in Liverpool this weekend. The Liverpool auditions gave …
Singers were given feedback at the Southampton Auditions
Southampton Auditions: Music industry judges gave singers feedback at the Southampton auditions at The 1865 in Southampton this weekend. The Southampton auditions …
BELFAST RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Belfast Regional Finals!
Belfast Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Belfast Regional Finals took place this weekend at Kings Hall in …
EXETER RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Exeter Regional Finals!
Exeter Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Exeter Regional Finals took place this weekend at Exeter Corn …
ESSEX RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Essex Regional Finals!
Essex Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Essex Regional Finals took place this weekend at Marconi Social Club in …
CAMDEN RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Camden Regional Finals!
Camden Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Camden Regional Finals took place this weekend at Dingwalls in …
READING RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Reading Regional Finals!
Reading Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Reading Regional Finals took place this weekend at Sub89 in …
NOTTINGHAM RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Nottingham Regional Finals!
Nottingham Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Nottingham Regional Finals took place this weekend …
MILTON KEYNES RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Milton Keynes Regional Finals!
Milton Keynes Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Milton Keynes Regional Finals took place …
NEWCASTLE RECORDING STUDIOS
Prizes such as time in recording studios were up for grabs at the Open Mic UK Newcastle Regional Finals!
Newcastle Recording Studios Prizes: The Open Mic UK Newcastle Regional Finals took place this weekend at …