SINGERS - THE BEST WAY TO PROMOTE YOUR ACT
The eleven essentials ways to promote yourself as a singer.
Singers - the best way to promote your act. There are numerous ways of promoting your act nowadays. An online presence is essential as your music is worthless unless there are people who can hear it! Here are eleven ways that will be the most effective way at getting your act known to the general public!
Your own website
- This is where the traffic from all your social media sites should be directed. It is your main hub of activity. It will be where all news stories, photos, videos etc. will be located. It will also be a place where you can sell merchandise and create mailing lists to keep your fans up-to-date with your goings on via newsletters. Keep all the information organised and keep it updated.
- Creating a Facebook page is essential for any act these days. It is the central hub of online activity and social networking. It is where all your photos, gig listings, news etc. should be going first. You can link it to your main website and all your other social media platforms too!
- Twitter has many ways of helping promote your act. Using hash tags is a great way to get your act ‘trending’, which increases your visibility to fans by the keywords you have hash-tagged. You can send tweets to like-minded professionals, who in return can re-tweet you to all their followers. It’s a great way of getting widespread exposure and making contacts in the industry.
- YouTube has helped many unknown singers become household names. It’s how Justin Bieber got his big break! Anything can be uploaded on YouTube: music videos, songs without videos, press interviews etc. If you have something recorded, it can be promoted to millions on YouTube.
- Local radio is a great way of getting your music known to people in your local area. This is where your initial fan base will be located until you can start hitting gigs in other areas of the country. Getting interviews on here is a great way to spread your news about any new gig dates or EP releases. It will also give you the opportunity to play your music to the listeners. If it all goes well, you could get interviews on there more frequently!
TOP WAYS TO PROMOTE YOURSELF AS A SINGER IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY
Universities and colleges
- Universities and colleges have people who listen to all kinds of music. They are your best bet for trying to promote your music to. Students are more likely to go along to gigs for unknown acts if they are local. Head to the student unions to distribute flyers and promote the gigs verbally to the students. Universities tend to have radio stations too, so approaching these would be a good idea to get on their airwaves.
Word of mouth
- The more people who you get to your gigs, the more likely they will be to talk about you to their friends. Put on a good show and engage with your fans and it will only enhance your reputation with them and the likelihood they will bring more friends with them to your next show. Keep the audience happy by interacting with them in person and online as often as you can!
- Giving the local newspapers or magazines your press releases for your new EP or gigs is a good way to get exposure. Universities tend to have student papers as well, so approach these to try and get any interviews or reviews of your gigs and EP’s. Making good connections with the local media could lead to larger publications taking notice!
- Sound Cloud allows unsigned musicians to share their music across all social media platforms. It can be embedded into your profiles so people can hear your music on your page and share the links on their own.
- Shooting a video to accompany your songs can then be placed on all your social media sites. The more professional and interesting the video, the more likely it is to capture the viewer’s imagination. This will increase the amount of comments and shares the video receives. It could prompt interest from the local press and may even spread far and wide across the Internet.
Giving your demo to fans
- Handing out your demos at gigs is a surefire way to get your music heard. It worked for the Arctic Monkeys, so it can work for you. Fans love new music, especially when it is free as they are more inclined to give it a listen. They can then pass it on to friends who can get a chance to hear your music.
SINGERS - THE BEST WAY TO PROMOTE YOUR ACT
Check out our other tips for singers below and check out our Open Mic UK singing audition dates by clicking here.
To keep up-to-date with other advice for singers, keep an eye on the Open Mic UK Facebook and Twitter pages:
Click the above buttons so you don't miss out!
Share this to all your friends here:
BRISTOL OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
Not many cities in the UK rival Bristol for live music venues. Open Mic UK outline the top 10 of Bristol's open mic nights.
The birthplace of respected artists like Portishead and Massive Attack, Bristol has an …
DORSET OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
The top 10 of Dorset's open mic nights. We take a look at the best open mic nights that the county of Dorset has to offer singers and musicians.
There’s a ton of opportunities to enjoy some fantastic live …
BOURNEMOUTH OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
With new bars and music venues popping up all over, there’s definitely a buzz about Bournemouth.
Open Mic Finder in Bournemouth
Bournemouth not only possesses a gorgeous coastline and vibrant …
TOP 10 OPEN MIC NIGHTS SOUTHAMPTON 2018
Open Mic Finder in Southampton
Southampton may be best known for its connection to the Titanic, but the city has also made a name for itself through its thriving music scene. This bustling …
HOW TO RAP
Rapping with confidence, control, and emotion.
How to Rap - Five Key Areas of Focus
How to Rap: In this article we have focused on five key areas to help you improve your rapping techinique.Lyrics are the fundamental part of any rap …
MUSIC ARTIST MANAGEMENT
What does Music Artist Management do?
Music Artist Management: All music mangers vary and can do an array of different jobs to help artists develop every aspect of their music careers. What a manager does for you …
LOOKING FOR A MUSIC MANAGER?
Should you be looking for a music manager?
Looking for a music manager?: Certainly what we’d advise especially when starting out is just concentrate on your own affairs to begin with before you start looking …
WRITING A PRESS RELEASE
Putting together and writing a press release
Writing a press release: You need something to back up your words explaining your story for your newspaper article, that’s where writing a press release, comes in. …
JAMES NEILSON CROWNED OPEN MIC UK 2017 CHAMPION!
Future Music have crowned James Neilson Open Mic UK's 2017 overall winner
Open Mic UK 2017 Champion: The national music competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of …
OPEN MIC UK 2017 PRIZE WINNERS
Judges’ Top Scores and Prize Winners Announced
Open Mic UK 2017 Prize Winners: The Open Mic UK 2017 Grand Final judges’ top scores and prize winners have been revealed! The national music competition …
TeenStar 2018 Audition Dates Now Released!
TeenStar 2018 audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only singing and dance competition exclusively for 19 year olds and younger, have now released their 2018 audition dates! …
MUSIC COMPETITION OPEN MIC UK 2017 AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017 have been announced!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017! The Open Mic UK music …
SAM CLINES CROWNED OPEN MIC UK 2016 CHAMPION!
Future Music have crowned Sam Clines Open Mic UK's 2016 overall winner
Open Mic UK winner: The national singing competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of prestigious …
OPEN MIC UK MUSIC COMPETITION WINNER – JUDGES’ TOP SCORES!
The Open Mic UK music competition winner 2016 Grand Final judges’ top scores have been revealed! The Open Mic UK music competition Grand Final took place at The NEC in …
TeenStar audition dates now released!
TeenStar audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only competition exclusively for pre-teens and teenagers, have now released their audition dates! And new for this year it’s also open …
AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions for Open Mic UK 2016 are announced today!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2016! The Open Mic UK music competition auditions will be …
MUSIC COMPETITION COMES TO MANCHESTER
The Open Mic UK music competition came to Media City UK, Manchester
Music competition in Media City UK: Manchester played host to the Open Mic UK's music competition where singers and songwriters …
MUSIC COMPETITION COMES TO CAMDEN, LONDON
The Open Mic UK music competition came to Dingwalls, Camden
Music competition in Camden: Dingwalls in Camden, played host to the Open Mic UK's music competition where singers and …
A&R MUSIC – ADVICE FROM THE MUSIC INDUSTRY
A&R music industry professionals provide advice from the Grand Final.
A&R Music: The Open Mic UK music competition grand final hosted the best unsigned singers from across the …
NORTH EAST MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for the North East Music Contest at Dewsbury Town Hall
North East Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like …
SOUTH ENDLAND MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for South England Music Contest at The Engine Rooms
South England Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d …
NORTH WEST AND SCOTLAND MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for North West and Scotland Music Contest at The Forum Theatre
North West and Scotland Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a …
MIDLANDS MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for Midlands Music Contest at The NEC
Midlands Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like advice on how to develop as …
LONDON MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for London music opportunities at the Beck Theatre
London Music Opportunities: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like advice on how …