STAGE PERFORMANCE TIPS FOR SINGERS
Advice on how to perform on stage.
Stage performance tips for singers: Stage performance is the element that takes an act from being just a singer to a potential recording artist. Being able to perform on stage is a skill that all singers should master if they wish to be successful in the music industry. Here are a few pointers on how to perform well on stage!
TIPS ON STAGE PERFORMANCE FOR SINGERS
- Move around on stage: Most audiences find an artist moving around on stage more engaging than those who stand static throughout. Coming to the front of the stage also helps to engage and connect with your audience. It doesn’t mean you have to use every inch of the stage, but you don’t want to be anchored to the floor, so make sure you move around.
- Body language: Your body language gives the audience an idea of how you’re feeling when you’re on stage and conveys the emotion of the song. Making eye contact with the audience helps them to connect with you, it shows you’re confident and again adds to the interpretation of the song. Standing tall and having good posture not only helps your performance, it makes you look professional. Body language is a main tool in expressing the emotion of the song so making sure your movement reflects this is key, it will take time to perfect but essential to start incorporating into your performance.
HOT TIP: Look at YouTube videos of artists you are influenced by and watch how they perform with their mannerisms and look at how they convey emotion in their performance. It may just be an act, but that’s what you inspire to be!
ACTIONABLE TIPS TO IMPROVE STAGE PERFORMANCE
We see lots of people enter our competitions who haven’t performed live before. Get ahead of the competition and perform wherever and whenever you can. Here are four actionable steps you can try out today to improve your live show.
- Busking – Contact your local council and ask where and when it is ok to busk in your town centre. Not every council allows this, but if the opportunity is there then it can be a great way to build up your confidence. If you are under 16 make sure you are accompanied by an adult and perform in a safe open space. If you are incredibly nervous, don’t pick the busiest area first, work your way up to it! Busking is also a great way to earn a little bit of cash!
- Open Mics – Look around your local area and find some pubs/venues that host open mic nights, contact them and find out how to get involved. If you are under 18 let them know as some pubs won’t allow you to perform. Most will allow you to if accompanied by a parent or a guardian. If they are regular events, go as often as possible and get to know the people that are there. Networking is a great way of hearing about other live opportunities.
- House Show – Do a private show at your house for your friends and family. Your friends can often be your biggest critics and can be nerve wracking but will always back you when you need them to! Ask your friends and family for feedback to help you improve going forward. Remember, this is an intimate gig not a show at the O2, tailor your performance accordingly. (N.B. Don’t advertise this online, keep it private with close friends and family only!)
- Record Yourself - If none of the above are possible, then film yourself performing, watch it back, show friends and family and ask them for areas you could improve. Don’t take this feedback personally, it will help you in the long run!
HOW TO OWN THE STAGE
- Engage with the audience: Engaging with the audience is very important when performing on stage. It can be from simply smiling and giving eye contact to show you’re enjoying yourself or using facial expressions to reflect the emotions of the song. If you have a song where you can’t make use of the stage as easily, don’t forget hand gestures can help to enhance a performance.
- Make use of props and dancers: Make use of whatever you have to work with. You’ve got a stage so move around it. You’ve got a mic stand, use it during the softer bits and take the mic out when the song becomes more upbeat, don’t be restricted by your props. If you’ve got a really upbeat song, why not bring some dancers along, not only will it be a more enjoyable performance but also a more memorable one. Of course you are only as good as your worst dancer and ensure you get involved in the routine so plenty of practice is essential! You will also have to consider your fitness if doing large parts of the routine otherwise it will affect your breathing and vocal control in general.
- Make an impression from beginning to the end: Walk confidently on stage and maintain that confidence throughout your performance. It’s easy to tell which performers are nervous when they walk on stage and it often takes a while to fade. Even established acts get nervous but learn to act to hide the nerves, the more performance you do the easier this should get even if the nerves don’t go. Another way to make an impression when you enter the stage is with your image which you can read more on by clicking here. Announce yourself when you come on, if you’ve not be announced. Thank for the audience at the end of your performance, and let them know you’re grateful they stayed to watch you.
STAGE PERFORMANCE TIPS FOR SINGERS
Take a look at some other similar articles;
And don't forget you can enter Open Mic UK now!
DORSET OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
The top 10 of Dorset's open mic nights. We take a look at the best open mic nights that the county of Dorset has to offer singers and musicians.
There’s a ton of opportunities to enjoy some fantastic live …
BOURNEMOUTH OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
With new bars and music venues popping up all over, there’s definitely a buzz about Bournemouth.
Open Mic Finder in Bournemouth
Bournemouth not only possesses a gorgeous coastline and vibrant …
TOP 10 OPEN MIC NIGHTS SOUTHAMPTON 2018
Open Mic Finder in Southampton
Southampton may be best known for its connection to the Titanic, but the city has also made a name for itself through its thriving music scene. This bustling …
HOW TO RAP
Rapping with confidence, control, and emotion.
How to Rap - Five Key Areas of Focus
How to Rap: In this article we have focused on five key areas to help you improve your rapping techinique.Lyrics are the fundamental part of any rap …
MUSIC ARTIST MANAGEMENT
What does Music Artist Management do?
Music Artist Management: All music mangers vary and can do an array of different jobs to help artists develop every aspect of their music careers. What a manager does for you …
LOOKING FOR A MUSIC MANAGER?
Should you be looking for a music manager?
Looking for a music manager?: Certainly what we’d advise especially when starting out is just concentrate on your own affairs to begin with before you start looking …
WRITING A PRESS RELEASE
Putting together and writing a press release
Writing a press release: You need something to back up your words explaining your story for your newspaper article, that’s where writing a press release, comes in. …
Choosing a recording studio for your music production
Music Production: You’ve spent time and effort writing your own material, so when it comes to music production – laying down your tracks, choosing a …
JAMES NEILSON CROWNED OPEN MIC UK 2017 CHAMPION!
Future Music have crowned James Neilson Open Mic UK's 2017 overall winner
Open Mic UK 2017 Champion: The national music competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of …
OPEN MIC UK 2017 PRIZE WINNERS
Judges’ Top Scores and Prize Winners Announced
Open Mic UK 2017 Prize Winners: The Open Mic UK 2017 Grand Final judges’ top scores and prize winners have been revealed! The national music competition …
TeenStar 2018 Audition Dates Now Released!
TeenStar 2018 audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only singing and dance competition exclusively for 19 year olds and younger, have now released their 2018 audition dates! …
MUSIC COMPETITION OPEN MIC UK 2017 AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017 have been announced!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017! The Open Mic UK music …
SAM CLINES CROWNED OPEN MIC UK 2016 CHAMPION!
Future Music have crowned Sam Clines Open Mic UK's 2016 overall winner
Open Mic UK winner: The national singing competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of prestigious …
OPEN MIC UK MUSIC COMPETITION WINNER – JUDGES’ TOP SCORES!
The Open Mic UK music competition winner 2016 Grand Final judges’ top scores have been revealed! The Open Mic UK music competition Grand Final took place at The NEC in …
TeenStar audition dates now released!
TeenStar audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only competition exclusively for pre-teens and teenagers, have now released their audition dates! And new for this year it’s also open …
AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions for Open Mic UK 2016 are announced today!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2016! The Open Mic UK music competition auditions will be …
A&R MUSIC – ADVICE FROM THE MUSIC INDUSTRY
A&R music industry professionals provide advice from the Grand Final.
A&R Music: The Open Mic UK music competition grand final hosted the best unsigned singers from across the …
NORTH EAST MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for the North East Music Contest at Dewsbury Town Hall
North East Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like …
SOUTH ENDLAND MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for South England Music Contest at The Engine Rooms
South England Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d …
NORTH WEST AND SCOTLAND MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for North West and Scotland Music Contest at The Forum Theatre
North West and Scotland Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a …
MIDLANDS MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for Midlands Music Contest at The NEC
Midlands Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like advice on how to develop as …
LONDON MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for London music opportunities at the Beck Theatre
London Music Opportunities: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like advice on how …
READING MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for Reading music opportunities at Sub89
Reading Music Opportunities: Open Mic UK gave budding singers Reading music opportunities at the weekend. The …
SHEFFIELD MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for Sheffield music opportunities at The Sheffield City Hall
Sheffield Music Opportunities: Open Mic UK gave budding singers Sheffield music …