MUSIC VIDEOS - MAKING A MUSIC VIDEO
How to make a music video as a singer
Music videos - making a music video: After you have recorded your music professionally and your fan base is building nicely, the next logical step would be to make a music video to accompany the strongest song you have. However make sure the timing is right and ask yourself what you want to achieve by doing the music video.
Get your music heard by major record label A&R by entering Open Mic UK here.
Once agreed it’s the next logical step chose the song you want to use, there are some things you need to decide on first before putting the wheels in motion:
- Know your song inside out! What emotions and feelings does the song bring out when you listen to it? Is there a story in the lyrics that would play out well in music video? Is the song upbeat, or a slow ballad? Once you have established these facts, you can brainstorm ideas for the narrative of the music video.
- What is your budget? If your budget is tight, going for a lavish, over the top music video is doomed to fail when you can’t afford to carry on production. You need to be realistic. Some of the most well-known songs had music videos created for next to nothing. Once you have settled on a budget and narrative, figure out ways to create the music video in accordance with your budget. If you know people who study costume design for example, ask them if they want to get involved. People who know that their work will get noticed by the public for being in your music video are more than likely to be happy to help out! Doing things this way will save you money hiring individuals for each area of the video production. Budgets can easily get out of hand and equipment is expensive so have your budget and keep to it.
- Create a mood board, decide on filming locations. Will it be indoor or outdoors or a mixture? Will it all be in one place or at multiple locations? Be creative! It doesn’t necessarily need to be the area you have in mind. More practical locations may look similar or with a few props be just as good. It needs to be an accessible location and one you can be at without having any issues. For example, trying to film in a busy high street or inside a supermarket, some of the best videos are the best location ideas.
FILMING MUSIC VIDEOS
Once you have the idea for your music video and know your budget and where filming will take place, it’s time to create a story board for the video so everybody is clear to you ideas and what you want to achieve.
- Storyboards are essentially what a comic book is. Each segment will form a different part of the music video. The storyboard can either following the structure of the song, or is based on the narrative you have chosen. Once you know what you want to happen and where, you need to listen to the song and decide how to transition between each segment. You are the judge on if what’s happening visually links to what is happening musically. For example, if it were a slow section, having a car chase would not match the audio.
- Pick the crew to film the video. It is beneficial you have people who know what they are doing and have access to good quality equipment. However of course budget will dictate so that’s the compromise. As much as it would save you money having a mate film it on his hand held video camera, it maybe won’t give a professional quality video. The people you pick should ideally have experience filming the kind of video you are after. That way, not only will they have the know how to get the best video possible technically, but they may also pitch in ideas to add to the video to help make it even better. Audition any actors you want to use so you get the best people for the roles you need.
- As long as each section has been planned then filming the video shouldn’t pose any problems. Cue the music so the actors can lip sync in time with the song and so can any musicians in the video. There’s no pint have the guitarist look like he is playing a solo if it’s the middle of a verse. Try shooting from different angles in different takes and then mixing it up when it comes to editing. Only use the best takes you have, even the smallest flaw will look unprofessional. Once everything is edited together, and you put the music track over the video, it will be complete!
MUSIC VIDEOS - MAKING A MUSIC VIDEO
Check out our other tips for singers below and check out our Open Mic UK singing audition dates by clicking here.
To keep up-to-date with other advice for singers, keep an eye on the Open Mic UK Facebook and Twitter pages:
Click the above buttons so you don't miss out!
BRISTOL OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
Not many cities in the UK rival Bristol for live music venues. Open Mic UK outline the top 10 of Bristol's open mic nights.
The birthplace of respected artists like Portishead and Massive Attack, Bristol has an …
DORSET OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
The top 10 of Dorset's open mic nights. We take a look at the best open mic nights that the county of Dorset has to offer singers and musicians.
There’s a ton of opportunities to enjoy some fantastic live …
BOURNEMOUTH OPEN MIC NIGHTS THE TOP 10
With new bars and music venues popping up all over, there’s definitely a buzz about Bournemouth.
Open Mic Finder in Bournemouth
Bournemouth not only possesses a gorgeous coastline and vibrant …
TOP 10 OPEN MIC NIGHTS SOUTHAMPTON 2018
Open Mic Finder in Southampton
Southampton may be best known for its connection to the Titanic, but the city has also made a name for itself through its thriving music scene. This bustling …
HOW TO RAP
Rapping with confidence, control, and emotion.
How to Rap - Five Key Areas of Focus
How to Rap: In this article we have focused on five key areas to help you improve your rapping techinique.Lyrics are the fundamental part of any rap …
MUSIC ARTIST MANAGEMENT
What does Music Artist Management do?
Music Artist Management: All music mangers vary and can do an array of different jobs to help artists develop every aspect of their music careers. What a manager does for you …
LOOKING FOR A MUSIC MANAGER?
Should you be looking for a music manager?
Looking for a music manager?: Certainly what we’d advise especially when starting out is just concentrate on your own affairs to begin with before you start looking …
WRITING A PRESS RELEASE
Putting together and writing a press release
Writing a press release: You need something to back up your words explaining your story for your newspaper article, that’s where writing a press release, comes in. …
JAMES NEILSON CROWNED OPEN MIC UK 2017 CHAMPION!
Future Music have crowned James Neilson Open Mic UK's 2017 overall winner
Open Mic UK 2017 Champion: The national music competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of …
OPEN MIC UK 2017 PRIZE WINNERS
Judges’ Top Scores and Prize Winners Announced
Open Mic UK 2017 Prize Winners: The Open Mic UK 2017 Grand Final judges’ top scores and prize winners have been revealed! The national music competition …
TeenStar 2018 Audition Dates Now Released!
TeenStar 2018 audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only singing and dance competition exclusively for 19 year olds and younger, have now released their 2018 audition dates! …
MUSIC COMPETITION OPEN MIC UK 2017 AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017 have been announced!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017! The Open Mic UK music …
SAM CLINES CROWNED OPEN MIC UK 2016 CHAMPION!
Future Music have crowned Sam Clines Open Mic UK's 2016 overall winner
Open Mic UK winner: The national singing competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of prestigious …
OPEN MIC UK MUSIC COMPETITION WINNER – JUDGES’ TOP SCORES!
The Open Mic UK music competition winner 2016 Grand Final judges’ top scores have been revealed! The Open Mic UK music competition Grand Final took place at The NEC in …
TeenStar audition dates now released!
TeenStar audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only competition exclusively for pre-teens and teenagers, have now released their audition dates! And new for this year it’s also open …
AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions for Open Mic UK 2016 are announced today!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2016! The Open Mic UK music competition auditions will be …
MUSIC COMPETITION COMES TO MANCHESTER
The Open Mic UK music competition came to Media City UK, Manchester
Music competition in Media City UK: Manchester played host to the Open Mic UK's music competition where singers and songwriters …
MUSIC COMPETITION COMES TO CAMDEN, LONDON
The Open Mic UK music competition came to Dingwalls, Camden
Music competition in Camden: Dingwalls in Camden, played host to the Open Mic UK's music competition where singers and …
A&R MUSIC – ADVICE FROM THE MUSIC INDUSTRY
A&R music industry professionals provide advice from the Grand Final.
A&R Music: The Open Mic UK music competition grand final hosted the best unsigned singers from across the …
NORTH EAST MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for the North East Music Contest at Dewsbury Town Hall
North East Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like …
SOUTH ENDLAND MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for South England Music Contest at The Engine Rooms
South England Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d …
NORTH WEST AND SCOTLAND MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for North West and Scotland Music Contest at The Forum Theatre
North West and Scotland Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a …
MIDLANDS MUSIC CONTEST
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for Midlands Music Contest at The NEC
Midlands Music Contest: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like advice on how to develop as …
LONDON MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES
Singers and songwriters came to impress at a show for London music opportunities at the Beck Theatre
London Music Opportunities: Open Mic UK is more than a competition and if you’d like advice on how …