Facebook for Singers: Build a Network
Using pictures, events and apps and networking is the key to growing your fan base on Facebook!
Facebook is still one of the best marketing platforms for singers, musicians and songwriters to promote their music and events on. Facebook offers a very “real” audience and potential fan base for you and a network that allows you to share important information easily and for free in most cases – information such as upcoming gigs, new music, videos, and so much more.
Learning how to use Facebook to interact with fans and fellow musicians is very important. Despite the power of the internet, using it effectively is not as straightforward as singers like to think. It involves a lot of work but there are a lot of tools and tips that can help.
Post pictures to engage fans
- Post photos with your fans – gig pictures, meet and greets, anything showing you interacting with them!
- Ask fans to tag themselves, as this will promote your band to your fans’ friends when the picture appears in their news feed.
- Share pictures and videos! Fans are more likely to comment, like or share these kind of updates as opposed to normal text posts.
Create Facebook Events for all of your gigs
- Create an event for anything you will be playing/attending – any gig/radio interview/PR function.
- Even if the organisers have already made an event, make your own. Not all your fans will be fans of the organiser/venue in question!
Facebook for singers: utilise Facebook apps
- Utilise new apps! They are quick and simple and allow you to have elements such as music players, event listings and mailing list tabs on your facebook page. The good news is most are free! Some examples to check include Reverbnation and BandPage.
Keep your content engaging
- Content is key – try to keep your posts engaging, interesting and/or funny and try not to do too many ‘selly’ posts whether it’s the next gig or EP otherwise people will just switch off.
- Analyse your shares, comments and likes to see what works best.
Networking on Facebook
Networking with, and reaching out to other acts is important when using Facebook as a singer. An unsigned act can acquire new fans by opening for another act on stage. The same goes for Facebook – ask another act that you’re tight with to post your new music video/track/album art to their wall with a link back to your Facebook page and remember to return the favour.
Another way you can really connect with your followers is to ask for input from fans. Ask yes-or-no questions (e.g. “What do you think of this picture for my album cover?”) or pose multiple-choice queries (“Which song title is the most evocative?”). Gaining your fan’s input makes them feel valued and part of your journey!