Importance of Song Choice
Why picking the right song for you is important!
Importance of song choice: Picking the right song to cover or perform at an audition is very important. It could be a decision that makes or breaks you as a singer.
Picking the correct song can define a singer and maximize their chance to shine. You can focus on interpreting the song in your unique style and voice. Here are the important things to take into account when making the decision!
- Firstly make sure the song suits your vocal style and range. Selecting a song that really shows off your sweeter tone in your range is always going to be best. Work with a vocal coach can really help you establish what this is. It’s pointless selecting a song that you struggle to sound good at either low or high notes.
- Pick a song that you can make it your own, but only if it’s not too farfetched and amongst the considerations are it needs to fit your image, style and age.
- Don’t pick a popular song, every year at auditions we will hear the song of the moment; Adele, Jessie J and in 2014 from Frozen “Let it go” at least 10 times per audition and then in the shows acts end up doing the same song choices. Please avoid this, there are millions of songs to pick not just the current most popular choices.
- Try not to play it too safe, picking a song that doesn’t demonstrate any of your talents is not a good pick. Picking a song that offers no room for you to shine wont impress any judges! You need that one moment that will grab their attention and make them take note!
MORE TIPS ON PICKING THE RIGHT SONG CHOICE
- Similarly, and the most common of errors you don’t want to take too much of a risk. Selecting a song just on the merits of showing off your vocal like taking on an epic, powerful song by someone like Whitney Houston or Celine Dion can only result in it being out of your league and leaving a bad impression of your talent. If it doesn’t sounds as good as the original, people will critique it!
- Pick a song that you like will help you connect with the emotion in the song but don’t pick a song just because you like it. It needs to showcase your singing abilities and your unique artistry, so if that means picking a song you don’t normally listen to, then that’s what it has to be.
- Pick something modern or if an old song put a modern twist on it, also select a song that is applicable to your age.
- You need a song that, if performed in front of an audience, will resonate with them and they can connect with you and the song!
- If in doubt, ask for feedback from a vocal coach or trusted friends and family. Perform the song for them, ask for their honest opinions and ask open questions. At the end of the day song choice is down to you, the singer, but constructive criticism can help you realise if the song is working.
- Recording and/or filming a demo of you performing the vocal to a backing track can also help you hear your performance. You and others can analyse it and see if there are any changes you can make that make the song work!
And remember song choice isn’t everything, it also important to perform, add dynamics, engage with the audience, connect to the music and bring out the emotion of the song otherwise the performance will be lifeless and all the hard work selecting the song choice will be partially let down!