Reuel Elijah 2018 Open Mic UK’s Champion!
Future Music have crowned Reuel Elijah Open Mic UK’s 2018 overall winner
Open Mic UK 2018 Champion: The national music competition Open Mic UK has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of prestigious Future Music competition winners, Reuel Elijah from Cardiff has been crowned the champion of the national Open Mic UK.
22-year-old Reuel Elijah is one of the stars to watch in 2019. Starting early in entertainment as part of the world-famous street dance crew ‘Jukebox’, he’s already performed on stages for the BBC Horizons at Cardiff’s X Festival and supporting Stormzy in Ayia Napa, Greece.
Reuel also performed in a showcase in Butetown for BBC Radio 1 Xtra hosted by DJ Target.
Speaking about the competition, Reuel said, “Being at Open Mic UK was such a great journey. The stages & platforms we were given really gave us the opportunity to perform at our highest levels, which in return gave us the chance to be open to the biggest amount of exposure possible, and the fact that the grand finale was in the O2 was the cherry on top for me. I loved every second.”
Check out Reuel’s winning performance below.
Open Mic UK 2018 Champion
Reuel was crowned champion in front of a capacity crowd and a prestigious music industry judging panel at indigo at The O2 in London on Sunday 20th January. His original song called “Nah Tek Body” impressed the competition industry judges making him the overall winner of Open Mic UK.
The national singing competition is brought to you by Future Music, the company behind the discovery of so many top UK acts including; Jacob Banks, Lucy Spraggan, Union J’s Jaymi Hensley, Luke Friend and Karen Harding, all of which have all been previous past winners or participated in the competitions. As well as the first ever Open Mic UK winner, Warner Music’s Birdy.
Music Industry Judges at the National Grand Final
After impressing the Judging Panel at the auditions, Reuel battled against more than 10,000 acts that had entered Open Mic UK this year across the UK. He went on to perform in the Open Mic UK live showcases, battling through both Regional and Area Final heats to make it to the national Grand Final.
The judging panel for the Grand Final included;
- CeCe Sammy – Celebrity vocal coach and TV judge who has worked with many top names, including Will Young, Leona Lewis, and The Spice Girls.
- James Ellet – Artist Manager and A&R Manager at Modest! Management, the team behind One Direction, Little Mix, Olly Murs is a regular Judge at Open Mic UK.
- Leon Haynes – A&R Manager at Polydor Records, whose artists have included Girls Aloud, The Saturdays, Take That and Ellie Goulding.
- Barney Addison – Head of talent at Syco Music, the record label founded by Simon Cowell.
- James Sinclair – A&R Manager at Atlantic Records, who’s worked on albums with Jess Glynne, Clean Bandit and Marina.
- Laurence Hobbs – Producer and songwriter signed to Notting Hill and 23rd Precinct Music, who’s worked with many acts including Sam Smith and Pixie Lott.
- Jayne Collins – Artist Manager and founder of the very successful pop groups, including The Wanted and The Saturdays.
- Chris Grayston – Music consultant for Sony, Thames TV, The Voice.
Chris Grayston, Head Judge and Director of Future Music has said, “Reuel has blown us away at every stage of the competition. His music style is unique and very polished, and he has great energy while performing. A very deserving winner for our competition and we expect big things to come.”
Reuel Elijah – Open Mic UK 2018 Champion
Reuel as Open Mic UK’s overall winner has now won our Grand Prize including recording studio time to record his album and a video of the best single, plus extensive media promotion from a professional PR company.
Great Lake USA Competition Winner
In addition to the overall prize, as The Over 21 winner Reuel Elijah won a prize of a holiday for 2 to Great Lakes in the USA, courtesy of our partners Great Lakes USA.
The holiday prize for a 7 day holiday to the Great Lakes USA includes flights, accommodation, car hire and tickets to some of the key attractions. The Great Lakes USA is Midwest America, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.
The region is rich in music heritage and the birthplace of musical legends, such as Michael Jackson, The Temptations, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Prince, Motown, Bob Dylan, Jazz and Blues, and is also home to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Hitsville Motown Museum.
Check out more information about the Open Mic UK 2018 winners here.