Writing Lyrics – Getting Started
The basics of writing lyrics for your next song!
Tips for Writing Lyrics: Writing lyrics is something anyone can achieve if they put their mind to it, but it’s important to understand that writing lyrics takes a lot of discipline and dedication.
Writing lyrics is a very personal process, everyone will have a different style and approach but here are some basic principles to help write efficiently.
Tips for Writing Lyrics
- You will find it much easier writing lyrics if you sort the melody first. Every songwriter is different, but more often than not the melody will come more naturally than the lyrics!
- If melody is not your strong point then look to work with a musician, someone who can play guitar and/or piano to assist you
- Searching or listing online is a good way to source like-minded song writers to work with.
- Once the melody is down, get writing! Write whatever comes into your head and don’t edit your thoughts. Write down any of your thoughts or record yourself talking over the melody.
- Alternatively try writing lyrics of other peoples songs in a different way. It’s good practice and will help you work out how others structure writing lyrics.
- Write until no more words pop into your head. Once the basics are down, you can start tweaking the words you have written. Even if they don’t make sense at first, eventually the right lyrics will jump off the page!
Writing Lyrics – Be Patient
- There is no right or wrong when it comes to writing lyrics but it’s likely everyone will suffer from songwriter’s block at some point! Don’t worry, be patient!
- Writing lyrics that are forced will come across as such to your fans. Be patient and wait for inspiration.
- Don’t expect immediate results. It will take lots of goes until everything gels, so don’t be too critical of your work to begin with.
- Be prepared to pick lyrics apart and rewrite sections until your happy. A good song can be written in one draft, but a great song will take time and commitment.
- Don’t be afraid to leave a song if you’re not feeling it, great songs take chemistry so no need to force it, just start a new song.